S02E06 Becoming a Shaman with Itzhak Beery
Itzhak Beery is a leading shamanic teacher, healer, speaker, community activist and author of three bestselling books. He teaches at a number of centres around the world and leads webinars, shamanic circles, and trips to the Andes and the Amazon.
For over 22 years, he’s bridged the spiritual and practical wisdom his indigenous teachers entrusted in him with a powerful contemporary approach relevant to our stressful and unbalanced modern times.
In addition he is an accomplished visual artist and owner of an award-winning advertising agency. He is a husband, father and proud grandfather of four amazing souls.
Itzhak’s website: http://www.itzhakbeery.com
In our conversation I speak with Itzhak about:
- growing up on a kibbutz in Israel
- becoming an artist and moving to New York in the 1980s
- starting a successful advertising agency
- the jewish contribution to western spirituality
- the connection between judaism and shamanism
- creating a shamanic community in NYC
- his introduction to shamanism with Michael Harner & John Perkins
- choosing a shamanic path over financial security
- creative people as “closet shamans”
- travelling to South America to experience ayahuasca
- working with the Shuar Tribe
- the importance of trusting and following your heart
- Itzhak’s apprenticeship with a South American shaman
- balancing family and work life with spiritual life
- staying grounded while pursuing the shamanic path
Way of the Shaman, Michael Harner
Spiritwalker: Messages from the Future, Hank Wesselman
Confessions of an Economic Hit Man, John Perkins
Shamanic Healing: Traditional Medicine for the Modern World, Itzhak Beery
Brought to you by Medicine Path Healing Arts
1-to-1 yoga, plant medicine integration and transformative coaching with Brian James
Support the Podcast!
1. Leave a review on iTunes, or share with your friends on social media
2. Become a Patreon supporter at http://patreon.com/brianjamesteaching and gain access to podcast extras and hours of yoga practice resources including vinyasa sequences, breathwork, chanting and guided meditations.
3. Leave a one-time donation at http://paypal.me/medicinepathyoga
About Brian James
Brian James is a yoga teacher, musician, shamanic practitioner and transformational coach currently living in Montréal, Canada with his wife, astrologer Debbie Stapleton and their Boston Terrier Kingston. He has been exploring the intersection of music, yoga and shamanism for over 20 years.
tags: ayahuasca, shamanism, heart, izthak beery, michael harner, john perkins